The cauliflower appeared in Russia thanks to Catherine the Great, and it arrived on our table thanks to the scientist, philosopher, writer, economist, manager and agriculturist Andrey Timofeyevich Bolotov, who developed the cold-resistant plant adoptive the Russian severe climate.
Bolotov started to study agricultural farming in his small estate to earn some money. Encyclopaedist and “blogger” of his time, he moved potatoes and tomatoes from the flower beds to the vegatable beds, transferred them into food.
Bolotov had the huge success in agriculture and economics, so the Empress Catherine II invited him to manage her personal land, gardens and farms.
From the “blog” or Bolotov’s diary “Life and Adventures of Andrei Bolotov, described by him for his descendants.”
“About when the grass and rye came to life in this year (April). The grass revived, and with it, the rye did not turn green until about the 18th of April, at which time the bird cherry began to swell.”
Delicate cauliflower was cultivated in the Middle East and was called Syrian cabbage.
Ancient time doctor Avicenna recommended eating Syrian cabbage during winter, because it is rich of various vitamins and healthy elements. The fiber structure of cauliflower is very gently and easily digestible. Therefore, and thanks to its low calories, caulifloer is considered as a diet food.
Later in the 12th century the plant reached Spain and Cyprus, settled in the European Mediterranean and became an integral part of the Italian and French cuisines.
Cauliflower season is just starting. Have you catched a good head of cauliflower? Splendid … I prepared 3 recipes for the lunch menu – Italian crispy salad, French creamy soup – puree and spicy baked cauliflower of the Middle East art, the cauliflower historical homeland.
Cauliflower tomato & bell pepper salad recipe.
Ingredients (3-4 servings
- Cauliflower – 300 gr (or a small head)
- Tomatos – 2 -3 pcs of the middle size or 5- 6 small pcs
- Bell pepper (red and / or yellow) 1 pcs middle size or 2 pcs small size
- Hazelnuts – 30 gr (optional)
- Orange – 1pc
- Greens of basil or any other favorite herbs – 2-3 sprigs
- Pepper and any other favorite spices
- Rinse vegetables and greens
- Take off the leaves from the botton of the cauliflower head and split the “flowers” into small pieces and cut them to transform it into the small pieces similar to rice.
- Remove the tops, seeds and stems from the pepper. Cut it in small squares.
- Chop tomatos in small cubes. Ofter large tomatos are juicy. So I would recommend to spoone the seeds and together with the juice out and use only the flesh for the salad.
- Grind nuts in chunks or cut using knife.
- It is also easy and fast to cut the ingredients in the food processor. I chopped and mixed the salad for 5 seconds in Thermomix at speed level 5.
- To make the sauce, press juice out of the orange, chop in large pieces herbs. Place juice, herbs, oil and spices into blender and mix them into the smooth texture for app 1 – 2 munites.
- In the bowl mix all salad ingredients, add the sauce and mix once more all together. To serve you can use the cooking rings applying them in the same way like in mango avocado tartare.
Cauliflower soup -puree recipe.
Ingredients (2-3 servings
- Cauliflower – 300 g
- Potato – 100 g
- Vegetable broth – 250-300 ml
- Plant based “mylk” or plant based cream – 100 ml
- Shallot – 1 small pc
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Sun flower seed oil – 50 ml
- Greens of parsley, coriander or any other fresh herbs – a couple of sprigs
- Black peper and your other favorite spices
- Rinse the vegetable and greens. Peel off potatoes and cut them into cubes. Remove the leaves from the cauliflower bottom, split the cauliflower head into inflorescences.
- Peel off shallot and a garlic clove, chop them finely.
- Put 1 tsp oil in a skillet and fry the onion and a garlic over a medium – low heat about 2 – 3 minutes, stiring from time to time.
- Place potato, cauliflower, shallot and garlic into the cooking pot, add broth and 50 ml of the plant “mylk”, bring it to boiling and then cook it over the low – heat for app 15 minutes stirring from time to time. Add the rest of plant “mylk”, bring it to boiling and switch the heat off.
- Place the soup in the blender, pepper and your favorite spices and mix it for app 1 minutes to create a smooth texture.
- While the cooking the soup it is a good time to make a herb oil. Cut the greens in large pieces. Chop the second garlic clove. Place fresh herbs, pepper and garlic in a blender together with the oil and puree it together into a smooth mass within 1 – 2 minutes.
- Top the soup with the herbal oil and nut chunks or seeds ( I personally like pumpkin seeds) for serving.
Spicy baked cauliflower recipe.
- Cauliflower – 300 – 500 g
- Ground cumin seeds – 1 Tbsp
- Fine salt – 1 Tbsp
- Sun flower seeds oil – 3-4 Tbsp
- Rinse cauliflower and remove leaves. Split or cut it for large inflorescences.
- Place cummin seeds, salt and oil into a bowl and mix it. Dip the cauliflower into the sauce and place on the baking paper in the baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes at 180C.
- You can serve the cauliflower solo or with tahin and /or galic bread dips in the Middle East art.