Where pancakes and here we are, where oladyii (small pancakes) there is fine.
Pancakes are truly prehistoric meal, one of the first dishes made from wheat. Different variations of pancakes can be found almost in any cuisine in the world. Alhtough oladyii, small thick fluffy pancakes, are a typical dish of Russian, Belorussian and Ukrainian cuisine, they are made on the base of leavened dough. Oladyii have emerted much later: in the middle of the 16th century. They are easier and faster to fry than classical pancakes, several of them could fit in to the pan at once and you can add different types of flour to the dough and even vegetables.
Just in a week time on February 20 Mardi Gras begins to say Good Buy to winter.
“Tryntsy – Bryntsy, bake blintsy” or pancakes.
Pumpkin pancake (oladyii) recipe.
Ingredients (4 servings)
- Pumpkin or squash – 500 g
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Vegetable milk (almond or rice mylk, for example) – 1/2 – 2/3 cup
- Raisins – handful
- Kefir bacteria – (a pinch)
- Coconut oil – 1 Tbsp (for frying)
- Scoop out the pumpkin seeds and peel the pumpkin off. If pumpkin is young vegetable peeler will work perfect for it. Cut the pumpkin into several large pieces and rub it finely with a grater or in a food processor. In Thermomix it takes 15 seconds at as peed of 5.
- Mix well flour with milk, add the pumpkin and a handful of raisins and / or kefir bacteria. Mix well again, cover a bowl with a lid and leave for several hours, and even better over night, to let pumpkin to merge into flour and the dough to expand.
- Check the texture of the dough, as it should be similar to sour cream quintenssence . If the dough is too thick, add a couple of tablespoons of water at room temperature. If too liquid, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour. Mix well.
- Preheat a thick bottom frying pan, add frying vegetable oil, coconut oil is the best for it.
- Use big spoon to put dough in a hot frying pan (1 tablespoon = 1 olad’), fry the pancakes on both sides until they turn in light gold, you can turn them over several times. To fine-tune place all ready pancakes in pan, add 1/2 – 1 tsp of water, cover by the lid and let steamed pancakes on low heat for 3 – 5 minutes.
- You can serve the pancakes with jam, coconut or soy yogurt; or with avocados, olives and sun dried tomatoes.