When 70 year old Bernard Shaw was asked about how he was feeling, he answered:
Wonderful, wonderful, but doctors are bothering me with their statements that I will die because I don’t eat meat.
When 90 year old Shaw was asked same question again, he answered:
Wonderful. No one is bothering me any longer. All doctors who tortured me, saying I won’t be able to survive without meat, are all dead now.
Bernard Shaw of Ireland, for a long time was the only writer, honored by the 2 elite prizes at once – Nobel price and Oskar. Only recently Bob Dylan caught up with him.
I think the key factor to achieve it is to be born with the sense of humor.
Scientists are very interested in the phenomena of laughter and good mood. They discovered that laughter lowers pain and raises immunity, normalizes blood pressure and lowers chances of a heart attack and even prolongs life of cancer patients.
Laughter takes control of blood sugar levels and raises amount of cells that fight with mutations, basics protective mechanism of the human body.
In 2007 Norwegian University of Science and Technology School of Medicine conducted a study tracking 54 000 participants. It turned out that top 25% with laugh appreciation were 35% or more likely to live by the end of 7 year.
So lets read Bernard Shaw, laugh and live longer.
Perhaps what helped Bernard Shaw to live such a long and productive live was his kindness toward animal friends and the fact that he was a vegetarian?
I like vegetarian way of life. It has been the source of my youthfulness for half of century. But by saying this I don’t mean that everyone who eats cabbage and beets can be considered equal with Bernard Shaw. This would sound too optimistic.
Baked orange sauce tempeh / tofu recipe.
- Tempeh or tofu – 200g
- Orange juice made out of 1 squeezed orange
- Garlic cloves – 2-3 pcs in skin
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Chili powder – to taste
- Ginger – 1cm long or 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Herbs of your choice: celery, dill, fennel, cilantro, oregano.
- Cut Tempeh or tofu in strips lengthwise, 1 cm wide.
- Shred ginger & turmeric by a small hole spreader. Mix with a half of the orange juice, add grated black pepper and chili pepper to taste.
- Let tofu marinate in the sauce for 15-30 min. Oil baking dish with vegan margarine or coconut oil. Or just use the baking paper, no fat is needed. Lay our tempeh or tofu pieces in the baking dish. Sprinkle them with sesame seeds, place garlic clove in still in skin next to them. Place in the oven to bake at 185-200 Celsius for 20-25 min.
- Garnish, sprinkle with herbs and pour over the remains of the orange juice before serving.