5 important reasons to fall in love with beans:
✅ They have complete protein, containing all the essential amino acids
✅Provide good amount of protein, for example string beans contain 25% of protein
✅Contain almost no fats
✅Beans are rich in vitamins A, C & K, B vitamins and minerals such as iron, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, manganese
✅Due to their high fiber content glycemic index of string beans, for example, is very low – 15, similar to spinach
What does the low glycemic index tell us?
💎 It means that carbohydrates and sugars from green string beans absorb slowly and digest and metabolize well
💎It is important for health and good energy levels
💎Very important – it won’t let extra fat to accumulate in the body
Longest green beans are grown in China. They are also called Chinese beans, yard long beans or long vigna beans (Vigna unguiculata). BTW the biggest producer of green beans in the world is also China.
Try this new recipe of Chinese salad from the green string beans. My Chinese friends loved this salad and asked for the recipe.
Recipe of Chinese green bean salad
- 1 pound green string beans
- 1 bell pepper (optional)
- 1 inch fresh ginger root
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1-2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar
- Cut the ends of beans with the stem and if they are too long cut them cross wise into 1/2 or 3rds. Place into boiling water and boil for 5-8 min. Or can steam them instead
- While beans are cooking, get the sauce ready – finally grade ginger, add soy sauce or tamari, lemon juice then add finally chopped garlic.
- Placed cooked beans onto the collander.
- Clean bell pepper and cut into long thin pieces
- Pour the dressing over the beans, add bell pepper (optional) , mix everything well and sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Serve it hot or let it sit and marinate and serve it cold.
If you have become a fan of beans after reading this article, here is a bean paste recipe