In November I attended the ICMA (International Capital Markets Association) program in London devoted to the growing role of women in ESG finance and sustainable projects. During the structured networking I met a young women, the 1st year postgraduate, she just joint a couple of month ago to the capital markets team in one of the leading banks. ” Why did you choose the finance industry?” – I wonder . “I would like to make decisions, which will change the world for better” – she smiles back to me. “Finance industry is the bloodstreams in the world economy system. The projects will develop when the funding resource are made available. I would like that the money flows to create the better future.”. ESG is the modern economical terms which means Environmental, Social and corporate Governance
Our finance decisions have the power to change the world.
There are good news for vegans and everyone, who would like to made the world kinder. This year 3 vegan finance professionals Beyond Advisors registered with US SEC the US VEGAN CLIMATE ETF to start to trade. To create the underlining index they screened Solactive US Large Corp (proxy for S&P 500 index) and excluded all shares which underlining business activity do not meet vegan (animal harming) and climate conscious approach. The exclusion criteria removed app 41% of the market capitalisation of Solactive US Large Corp as of May 2018.
Beyond Advisors is a research arm of the impact investing platform Beyond Investors.
This is the first exchange trading invesment instrument, which will give the investment opportunity for vegan to support the project and economy in a way which meets their values, believes and life style. The reports suggest that app 6% of the US population identify as vegan
“As compared with an exposure to the Solactive US Large Cap index, an investor in this new index will avoid funding the slaughter of 13 animals a year for every $1,000 invested” – says the press- release.
In Bloomberg database this ETF is registered with ticker VEGAN.
In accordance with Bloomberg’s dataг there are more than USD 6 billion investments are focused on ESG (environmental, social and corporate governance projects), it is 5 times larger amount than 5 years ago. Although it is still a drop in the ETF market exceeding USD 3.5 trillions.
Do you like to learn more about green, conscious and ecology friendly investments? I put together a reading list.
It is not fun to study finance without a meal! Easy, delicious, festive, spicy recipe of stuffed squash. I peeked the idea also in Boston, where I brought that magic almond pear tart recipe from.
Stuffed squash recipe.
- Squash small medium size of app 3 lb – I could recommend winter sort Akorn
- Apples – 2 pcs of medium size
- Rasins – 1 handfull
- Cranberries – 1 handfull (fresh or dried)
- Quinoa – 20 g
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1 cm of root
- Vanilla – 1/4 tsp or to taste
- Curcuma – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamon – to taste (optional)
- Sunflower seeds or pine nuts – 1 to 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 Tbsp
- Rinse the squash and cut in half lengthwise, clear away the seeds and strings from the cut, e.g. with the spoon. Line a backing paper on the pan, place pumpkin and prebake it in oven at 200C for 20 – 25 minutes (Picture taken in Boston)
- For the filling. Cook quinoa. Soak raisins for 10 – 15 minutes. Cut apples in quarters and deseed them, chop apples in small pieces. Drain and rinse raisins, mix them with apples, add finely graded ginger, spices, cranberries and seeds (optional). Mix well. Sprinkle lemon juice. Put the filling in the skillet with the high sides and thick bottom, add a couple of table spoons of water and sauté for 7 – 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
(Picture is taken in Boston where we were cooking stuffed squash for the festive Saturday dinner for 10 people)
Cook until the extra water disappear. Take the filling from the flame, add cooked quinoa and mix well together. Ready.
- Fill the squash halves well, press the filling with the spoon well, so it is firm inside.
- Line the baking paper in the baking form. Place the stuffed squash in the baking form in a way, that it is balanced and you are not at risk that filling may fall out. Bake in the oven for another 20 – 25 minutes at 200С.
- Top with fresh cranberries or/ and greens (fresh coriander, basil, dill, fennel).